I am the tenured Eugene Anson Stead, Jr. M.D. Associate Professor at the Departments of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Statistical Science at Duke University and an adjunct faculty member at the Department of Statistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison. I received my PhD from the University of Pennsylvania in 2015 (advised by T. Tony Cai) and my Bachelor's degree in mathematics from Peking University in 2010.
I received the IMS Tweedie Award (2022), ASA Gottfried E. Noether Junior Award (2021), Bernoulli Society New Researcher Award (2021), ICSA Outstanding Young Researcher Award (2021), NSF CAREER Award (2020).
Some key words of my research: tensor learning, high-dimensional statistical inference, statistical learning theory, functional data analysis, non-convex optimization, applications in electronic health records, microbiome studies, computational imaging, ... You can find a list of our group's publications from the tab above, on arXiv, or on Google Scholar.
Our group is actively looking for motivated members to work on (1) methodology and theory development in machine learning and statistics and/or (2) applications in AI Health.
For prospective PhD students: Please apply to the PhD programs in Biostatistics & Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Mathematics, or Statistical Science. Prospective PhD students interested to work with me should mention this on their applications.
A postdoc position is available. Joint supervision with other faculty with interests on the foundation of machine learning at Duke CS, ECE, Fuqua, Math, Statistical Science are possible based on your background/interests and further discussions.
- [2/2022] Yuetian got an offer and will join University of Chicago Data Science Institute as a postdoc fellow to continue his research with various faculty members at University of Chicago starting in 7/2022.
- [2/2022] I was extremely honored and humbled to receive the 2022 IMS Tweedie Award. Thank to my students, mentors, and collaborators who made our work happen. Especial thank to my wife for her great support!
- [2/2022] Our work on Wishart-type matrix concentration bound has been accepted by Electronic Journal of Probability.
- [10/26/2021] My PhD student Rungang, as the one of three receipients among the whole IMS community, won the 2022 IMS Lawrence D. Brown Award! Rungang will deliver an award lecture at the 2022 IMS Annual Meeting in London.
- [07/30/2021] Rungang has defended his PhD thesis! He will become a postdoc research fellow at the Department of Statistical Science, Duke University starting in September 2021.
- [08/2021] Yuetian, Xudong, and Anru established an equivalence between factorization and Riemannian optimization approaches in solving low-rank matrix optimization problems. These results imply one does not do better under one framework than the other and solve several open questions in the literature.
- [05/2021] Anru received the 2021 ASA Gottfried E. Noether Junior Award! Anru will deliver an award lecture at the 2021 Joint Statistical Meetings.
- [05/2021] Anru received a 2021 Bernoulli Society New Researcher Award. This award recognizes the work of outstanding young researchers in the fields of Mathematical Statistics and Probability. Anru has delivered an award lecture at the 2021 ISI World Congress.
- [06/2021] Anru received a 2021 ICSA Outstanding Young Researcher Award.
- [08-12/2021] Anru, Rungang, and Yuetian are visiting the , Program on "Computational Complexity of Statistical Inference."
- [04/19/2021] Yuchen has successfully defended his PhD thesis! He is currently a postdoc researcher at the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Princeton University.
- [04/2021] Yuchen received the Hannan Travel Award from the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, 2021. Congrats!
- [01/2021] Rungang has received the Student Paper Award from the Statistical Learning and Data Science Section of the American Statistical Association, 2021. Congrats!
- [12/2020] Rungang gave a departmental seminar talk on generalized tensor learning at the Department of Statistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- [11/2020] Yuetian gave a talk on rank-constrained non-convex optimization at the iFDS Brown Bag seminar.
- [11/2020] Rungang gave a talk on tensor high-order clustering at the Duke Biostatistics Journal Club.
- [09/2020] Anru presented at the Workshop on "Missing Data Challenges in Computation, Statistics, and Applications" at Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS), Princeton, NJ.